A scarecrow to scare off the birds is impractical for today’s back yards and commercial lawns. It might not surprise you to know that an old ice cream bucket with eyes painted on is just not going to do the job when birds become a big problem – although, trust me, we’ve seen it!
Common pest control problems occur with birds such as Pigeons, Indian Mynas, and the Ibis. As Spring is coming next month, these birds are starting to nest so they can breed, which might be cute or annoying but it can also be dangerous.
As nesting season begins on the Gold Coast, not only are territorial magpies causing havoc; bird populations are growing rapidly. Bird damage can affect everyone – from commercial buildings to residential properties, marinas and agricultural or horticultural areas. Bird damage is a hidden pest as they settle in under solar panels and spread disease. Luckily, there are many humane ways to deal with them.
What You Need to Know about the Gold Coast Bird Population
Warnings – Damage to Solar Panels and Gutters
- Birds love getting under solar Panels to nest. They make a hell of a mess and their faeces can cause the solar panels to not work as efficiently
- Birds nesting in gutters and downpipes, cause blockages which lead to water leaks in your roof with the next downpour.
5 Bird Related Health Warning– Warehouses and Homes
- Birds easily spread disease around. Pigeons are the main culprits due to their roosting and defecation habits.
- The fungus in bird droppings can become airborne and be inhaled causing diseases such as such as Histoplasmosis, Cryptococcosis and Aspergillosis. These diseases can cause influenza like symptoms and major respiratory problems.
- Bird Lice lives in bird nests and can give humans a nasty bite.
- Salmonella can be contracted via bird droppings at the warehouse stage of food processing; think big open warehouses with birds roosting in the rafters.
- Good news – Avian Influenza or Bird Flu was a cause of major sickness and death overseas, but those strains have not been found in Australia to date. However, it’s important to be across the possibility that this could happen.
Did you Know? Warning on the Displacement of Native Birds
Smaller or Native bird species can often be displaced by a more aggressive species.
For example, the native Noisy Myna or the introduced Indian Myna have aggressive natures, and both can out compete large and small native birds. While all birds can cause damage, the larger more aggressive ones are potentially likely to damage foliage as well as property, because they aren’t native to our landscape. As a result, it’s important that you know the natural birds in your area and that introduced species are not left unchecked.
All Aspects Pest Control has the local knowledge and experience to ensure you eliminate your bird problems. We advise on the best and most humane bird control methods.
In 11 years, we have never ‘exterminated’ a bird. It’s not necessary – and let’s face it, no one wants birds dropping from the sky as your customers go about their business!
For your protection, we are COVID-19 trained, registered, licensed, and insured to deal with all pest types including Fire Ants.
Pest Controller Bird Control Tips and What you Can Do
There are many options for controlling these birds. At All Aspects Control we have the following solutions.
- physical deterrents
- exclusion systems
- live trapping and
- population control
Things you can do:
- look at what environmental factors you can change
- compliment the treatments specialists use
- modify food and water availability
- limit nesting capabilities
- get specialist advice (like ours!)
So if your bird problems are getting out of hand and an ice cream bucket just won’t do the trick, call us today. We can help you to get your house pest-free and keep it that way, quickly and easily, so you can focus on the fun things in life.
Bird Flu Fact Sheet – Avian Influenza
What is Histoplasmosis?
Australian Pest Control Association Inc